Wednesday, November 25, 2009

...but no one will love me if I'm fat

I just had a great walk/talk with my friend Aaron. Like so many men in our culture, he was indoctrinated into the belief that tall, skinny women are sexy. But he shared that that's not what he's really attracted to. What he really likes are short, curvy women.

When a friend points out a tall, skinny girl and says "She's hot!," Aaron doesn't get it. He remembers going out with those tall, skinny girls, thinking he should like them, then finding himself losing interest.

"Now, finally at 40," he says, "I can own that I really like shorter, heavier women. For a lot of guys, it's hard to acknowledge this. It's not what we're supposed to want."

I was so delighted to hear him acknowledge this truth. Clearly it's not just Aaron or my own sweet hubby who are attracted to REAL women. Otherwise only the skinny people would pair off.

The next time you find yourself lamenting that you have to lose weight to find love, remind yourself of Aaron, and all the other guys out there who will want you and love you exactly as you are. Beauty comes in all kinds of packages.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: